Thursday, October 10, 2013

My speech from the contest

I've been asked to post my speech by some friends who couldn't come to the contest.  Here it is, along with a pic of me delivering it.  It's amazing how few words a person can say in under 90 seconds!


In 1994, I had a conversation with my mother that went something like this:

“Remind me again … why are you going to Toronto?”
“I’m going to a leather conference.“
“A leather conference?  Is that like …  handbags?”
“Er-r-r, no, not exactly… “   Then I explained it to her.  Tactfully …  and not in much detail. 

We never discussed it again.  But she knows that I am here tonight, competing in a “handbag competition”.

Fast forward, to this year’s Pride celebration.  My synagogue is having a booth, for the first time ever.  I can’t sign up for a volunteer shift, because I am already working all day at Leather Alley.  I am not quite ready to explain. So I cop out and just say I have a different commitment.

Then on the Pride Sunday, I drop by the synagogue’s booth, and explain that I am on a break from volunteering at Leather Alley.  No one asks about handbags. Or anything else.  But the best part is – that nothing changes for me at the synagogue!

Coming out is a risk, but I have come to realize that there is a great deal of power in simply being yourself.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment